The fan-run encyclopedia for ASTRAL CHAIN, that anyone can edit!
→ Please read the Rules and Style Guide before contributing to the wiki. Thank you! ←
This wiki has 242 Articles, 514 Files, and 3,109 Edits, as of December 7, 2019.
Learn more about the synergetic-action game.
E3 2019 Trailer
Watch the ASTRAL CHAIN trailer from Nintendo's 2019 E3 presentation.
Visit PlatinumGames' official website for ASTRAL CHAIN.
Check out the ASTRAL CHAIN Devblog for more insight on the game's development.
About ASTRAL CHAIN
ASTRAL CHAIN is a Synergetic Action game from PlatinumGames that released on August 30, 2019 for the Nintendo Switch. The game is directed by Takahisa Taura, with character designs by manga artist Masakazu Katsura and supervision by Hideki Kamiya.
The game is set in a near-future cyberpunk metropolis called the Ark, where humanity has taken refuge after a meteorite strike caused mysterious wormholes called gates leading to an alternate dimension called the Astral Plane to begin appearing, polluting the Earth with dangerous Red Matter and rendering 90% of its landmass uninhabitable. After 10 years of peace, the gates began appearing in the Ark as well, bringing forth chimeras from the world beyond, which drag the land and residents into the Astral Plane, and pollute the Ark with Red Matter. To combat the potentially world-ending threat, a special police division called the Neuron task force is formed, which employ the use of living weapons created from captured and neutralized chimeras known as the Legion. The player takes on the role of a rookie Neuron officer, and must work together with their Legion to solve cases, and save humanity.
- August 30, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN releases worldwide for Nintendo Switch.
- August 11, 2019 - Nintendo America post a short clip of one of the songs featured in the recent ASTRAL CHAIN devblog on their Twitter.
- August 11, 2019 - Nintendo America post "Mr. Taura's Case Files 03" on their twitter, explaining how the game was influenced by Pokémon.
- August 10, 2019 - Nintendo America post an 8 second clip showing the Beast Legion on their Twitter.
- August 9, 2019 - Nintendo America post "Mr. Taura's Case Files 02" on their Twitter, talking about the art direction and gameplay, along with a new image.
- August 9, 2019 - GameSpot talk more on the gameplay of ASTRAL CHAIN in a blog post.
- August 8, 2019 - Nintendo of Europe celebrate International Cat Day with new screenshots of the cats found in ASTRAL CHAIN.
- August 8, 2019 - Nintendo America posts new art of Lappy on their Twitter.
- August 8, 2019 - Tsukuma from PlatinumGames' marketing division presents an interview between main character designer Masakazu Katsura and director Takahisa Taura that goes into details about the character design and art direction of the game in the ninth entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- August 7, 2019 - Nintendo America post "Mr. Taura's Case Files 01" on their Twitter, explaining the mechanic for controlling the Legion.
- August 8, 2019 - Nintendo America post that director Takahisa Taura will be sharing insights on the creation of the game on their Twitter in "Mr. Taura's Case Files" over the next few weeks.
- August 7, 2019 - Director Takahisa Taura and staff from PlatinumGames unbox the Collector's Edition on PlatinumGames' YouTube.
- August 6, 2019 - 30 second ASTRAL CHAIN trailer released on Nintendo Spain's YouTube.
- August 6, 2019 - A Japanese commercial for ASTRAL CHAIN is posted on Nintendo Japan's YouTube.
- August 6, 2019 - Nintendo America post a 15 second clip showing combo gameplay on their Twitter.
- August 3, 2019 - Nintendo America post a 40 second clip of the beginning of the File 01 on their Twitter.
- August 1, 2019 - Nintendo America post a 30 second clip showing the Sword Legion's ability to cut energy waves on their Twitter.
- August 2, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN calendar available as one of My Nintendo rewards, for 50 Platinum Coins.
- August 1, 2019 - Composer Satoshi Igarashi goes into detail about the music direction and soundtrack for the game, and features five music clips in the eighth entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- July 28, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN's easier Unchained mode detailed in a translation from the latest trailer on Nintendo Everything.
- July 26, 2019 - An English translated version of the 10 minute action gameplay trailer is released on Nintendo UK's YouTube.
- July 24, 2019 - Composer Satoshi Igarashi talks about the soundtrack, specifically the three vocal themes found in the game, in the seventh entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- July 24, 2019 - a 9 minute Japanese overview trailer is released on Nintendo Japan's YouTube.
- July 24, 2019 - GameSpot showcases more gameplay footage of combat, including a boss fight, on their YouTube.
- July 22, 2019 - GameSpot talks more about the experience of playing the game and the gameplay mechanics in a 9 minute video on their YouTube.
- July 22, 2019 - VGC shows new investigation footage in the other of the two videos.
- July 22, 2019 - VGC shows new combat footage in one of two videos posted on their YouTube.
- July 22, 2019 - A follow-up blog post from Digital Foundry on Eurogamer goes into more information about the game, including the framerate of 30fps.
- July 22, 2019 - Digital Foundry shows more gameplay footage, and talks about the experience of playing the game.
- July 18, 2019 - Lead character modelling artist Koji Ishida talks about the lighting effects used on the character models in the sixth entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- July 17, 2019 - Takahisa Taura talks about the gameplay, and confirms you can pet the Beast Legion.
- July 14, 2019 - 6 minutes of gameplay footage showing a sidequest is posted on GameXplain's YouTube.
- July 13, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN becomes available for pre-download, revealing file size of 9.6GB and supported languages, among other information.
- July 11, 2019 - The cinematic artist in charge of facial animations, Takahiro Iwagami, talks about the challenges of modelling the protagonists' facial expressions in the fifth entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- July 11, 2019 - Another 27 minute French presentation at Japan Expo 2019 shows more gameplay footage, this time with the French version of the game.
- July 7, 2019 - A French presentation at Japan Expo 2019 shows some gameplay footage in English.
- July 4, 2019 - Sculptor Yoshikaze Matsushita talks about the Legion's 3D model in the fourth entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- July 1, 2019 -Takahisa Taura talks more about the intentions of ASTRAL CHAIN in an interview with GameSpot.
- June 28, 2019 - Takahisa Taura confirms ASTRAL CHAIN is not planned as a trilogy in a tweet clarifying a mistranslation from a prior interview.
- June 27, 2019 - Concept artist Yuki Suda explains the history, geography and features of the Ark in the third entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog
- June 25, 2019 - Takahisa Taura expands on gameplay mechanics, Unchained mode, the story, sidequests, cats, and confirms no post-release DLC for ASTRAL CHAIN in an extensive Dutch interview on IGN.
- June 20, 2019 - Animator Marumi Nakajo talks about the development of the Legion in the second entry of the ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- June 19, 2019 - Takahisa Taura explains the two-player mode of ASTRAL CHAIN in an interview with Kotaku.
- June 19, 2019 - A 10 minute Japanese action gameplay trailer is published on Nintendo's YouTube.
- June 17, 2019 - Takahisa Taura talks about the influences on ASTRAL CHAIN, Police, and the Legion in an extensive interview with Polygon.
- June 14, 2019 - GameSpot shows yet more gameplay footage in an E3 2019 demo.
- June 14, 2019 - Meteorite Games E3 2019 gameplay demo showcases more gameplay.
- June 13, 2019 - 'Three Things You Might Not Know About ASTRAL CHAIN' video posted on Nintendo's YouTube account.
- June 12, 2019 - Director Takahisa Taura creates first entry in an ASTRAL CHAIN devblog.
- June 12, 2019 - Gameplay at Nintendo Treehouse at E3 2019 showcases boss battle, and all five Legion types.
- June 11, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN japanese official website launches.
- June 11, 2019 - More gameplay footage and information revealed in Nintendo Treehouse at E3 2019.
- June 11, 2019 - More information on ASTRAL CHAIN revealed on the Nintendo E3 website, including screenshots and an official rating of Teen.
- June 11, 2019 - An additional trailer for ASTRAL CHAIN revealed at Nintendo's E3 2019 direct.
- June 8, 2019 - Takahisa Taura and Atsushi Inaba "Guarantee that [ASTRAL CHAIN is] good" in an interview with Gematsu.
- May 31, 2019 - Takahisa Taura and Atsushi Inaba talk about ASTRAL CHAIN in a stage event at Bitsummit 7 Spirits.
- May 14, 2019 - New official art uploaded on Japanese Nintendo eshop listing for ASTRAL CHAIN.
- May 8, 2019 - Atsushi Inaba denies link between cancelled PlatinumGames project Scalebound and ASTRAL CHAIN, gives further clarification on Astral Chain's Synergetic Action gameplay in an interview with VGC.
- February 13, 2019 - Screenshots of ASTRAL CHAIN uploaded on NintendoEverything.
- February 13, 2019 - Further information on ASTRAL CHAIN uploaded on PlatinumGames' official website.
- February 13, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN announcement trailer uploaded on Nintendo's youtube account with extra footage.
- February 13, 2019 - ASTRAL CHAIN announced in February 13th Nintendo direct with initial trailer.